Being sick is a pain. And sore throat pain is surely agonizing if you suddenly become afflicted. If you’re unable to keep from coming down with a sore throat, what can you possibly expect to do to counter its effects once it has taken up residence?
Try these 7 solutions to help soar away the agony and suffering associated with having a sore throat. The following remedies will not only help provide pain relief but also provide your body with tools and resources it needs to help eradicate the illness as well.
7 Tried and True Sore Throat Remedies
(Note: always consult your medical practitioner when any sort of health concern negatively affects your life. For some sore throats, a simple treatment of anti-bacterials will kill off the bugs causing you challenges. If you feel your condition gets worse, regardless of the types of remedies you try, please get professional, medical advice as soon as possible.)
- Gargling: Whether you use ground cayenne pepper in water, a weak vinegar solution, or salted water, gargling can be an effective way to fight the actual source of your sore throat pain while providing immediate, if not long lasting, pain relief. Be careful for side effects which seem more damaging than the symptoms you are attempting to alleviate.
- Stay Hydrated: When your body is dehydrated things dry up in side and do their best to store up water from your system. Remaining as hydrated as possible by drinking plenty of water and non-dairy fluids, and no sugar filled juices allows your to naturally thin secretions and soothe your sore throat.
- Vaporize or Humidify: Placing a device in your bedroom will provide moisture in the air which you’ll then breathe in while you sleep. Even a pan of water stowed out of the way will evaporate and provide extra humidity in your area. Be careful not to allow the levels of moisture to get too high and damp or to lower the temperature of your room to uncomfortable levels.
- Stop Smoking, Spitting and Chewing: Any tobacco use will rob the body of its natural fluid and moisture levels. Ever see an old, wrinkly tobacco user? Much of that appearance results from the natural effects of tobacco removing water from the body. Your sore throat needs as much water and moisture as possible.
- Suck On a Lozenge: Over the counter, lightly medicated throat lozenges provide a small amount of local anesthetic to help numb affected regions of your throat. The mouth’s natural tendency to provide extra saliva while consuming candy or lozenges will also help keep the sore throat moist, doubly reducing pain and symptoms.
- Decongestants: Try one of the many over the counter decongestant products available at your local pharmacy. Use of these medications will help reduce swelling and inflammation, decrease mucus production and can also help to eliminate the sore throat causing effects of post nasal drip.
- Allergic Effects: If you are afflicted by allergies, you may find yourself suffering sore throat pain on a regular basis. Your body is creating mucus and other materials to try to counteract the allergens. When those fluids drip down the back of your throat, irritation, and general discomfort usually appear. Whatever you can do to help reduce the affects of allergies in your life will go a long way towards helping decrease suffering from sore throat pain.
The agony of a sore throat is never any fun. Dealing with the pain and symptoms isn’t much fun either. Given the choice however, if you can take it upon yourself to help eradicate the discomfort and challenges associated with a sore, scratchy throat, go for it. You can always go to the doctor if you’re unable to get things under control on your own.
Vern Marker is a freelance writer who is passionate about a number of health topics. His latest writings have been about electronic medical records and incorporating technology into the health industry.