Shock refers to a state wherein not enough blood and oxygen are reaching your vital organs. With low blood pressure being its flagship symptom. Should a state of shock last too long, the lack of oxygen starts damaging your health promoting organs.
Without immediate treatment, shock can result in permanent organ damage. And very often death. Thus, being cognizant of these general shock symptoms can save a life:
- pale skin
- weak pulse
- rapid breathing
- lack of alertness
- cool hands & feet
- loss of consciousness
- sudden, rapid heartbeat
- decreased, no urine output
If you suspect someone is going into shock, call for emergency treatment instantly.
Shock can have a number of cause classifications, encompassing:
- toxic shock
- septic shock
- cardiogenic shock
- vasodilatory shock
- hypovolemic shock
Symptoms for toxic shock syndrome involve:
- high fever
- eye redness
- muscle aches
- nausea & vomiting
- red mouth & throat
- organ failure ~ kidney & liver
- widespread sunburn like red rash
- rash skin peeling ~ palms & soles
Toxic shock causes death about half the time, and survivors might experience a shocking repeat.
Septic shock is a shock due to sepsis. It is a formidable condition materializing from an overwhelming infection. Most often developing in the very old and young. Yet, this shock can also overwhelm those experiencing other illnesses or situations, for instance:
- recent infection
- steroid medications
- long term antibiotic use
- surgery, medical procedures
- diseases causing weakened immune system ~ AIDS
Any type of bacteria, fungi, and rarely viruses, can cause septic shock. Bacteria or fungi toxins and your immune system’s responsiveinflammation causes tissue damage. Leading to low blood pressure and below par organ function.
Septic shock can affect many parts of your body, and its typical symptoms are:
- low urine output
- shortness of breath
- cold, pale extremities
- high or very low temperature
- standing up blood pressure drop
- restlessness, agitation, lethargy, confusion
Sadly, septic shock has a high death rate.
Cardiogenic shock is a weakened heart state, causing inadequate blood pumping to meet your body’s health requirements. The most common cause of this brand of shock is a severe heart attack.
However, not all heart attacks develop into cardiogenic shock. Like less than 10%. Yet, when it does happen, cardiogenic shock is the most common cause for those that die from a heart attack in a hospital.
Other underlying contributing heart problems for causing cardiogenic shock are:
- pulmonary embolism
- pericardial tamponade
- ventricular septal rupture
- papillary muscle infarction, rupture
Hypovolemic shock happens if you don’t have enough blood in your body, frequently caused by severe bleeding. Takes about a fifth of your blood to be lost to cause hypovolemic shock, giving rise to symptoms like:
- rapid breathing
- cool, clammy, sweaty, moist skin
Severity of symptoms is proportionate to the amount and speed of your blood loss.
Blood loss and other body fluids causing hypovolemic shock might be due to:
- injury bleeding
- internal bleeding
Vasodilatory shock is a type of shock to which your blood vessels are too relaxed, causing extremely low blood pressure. In the absence of enough pressure, your blood doesn’t get around.
Vasodilatory shock may be caused by:
So stay out of shock amidst a health nourished lifestyle.