Lead is a natural occurring metal that gains entry into your body via inhalation (breathed) and ingestion (swallowed). Once inside, a young child’s body is far less capable of immediate excretion.
You’re considered to be in a lead poison state when at least 10 micrograms of lead is contained in a deciliter of your blood. The symptoms and health problems associated with lead poisoning can be serious. In fact, very high levels of lead can be fatal.
Lead poses the greatest risk to developing brains, and can cause irreversible damage. Unfortunately, symptoms of lead poisoning usually don’t emerge until a dangerously high amount has accumulated.
Symptoms of lead poisoning in a child may involve:
- weight loss
- slow growth
- abdominal pain
- loss of appetite
- anemic paleness
- learning difficulties
- poor muscle coordination
Lead can be passed mother to fetus.
Some symptoms for lead poisoned adults are:
- memory loss
- abdominal pain
- mood disorders
- digestive issues
- muscle weakness
- blood pressure increase
- miscarriage, premature birth
- extremity pain, numbness, tingling
Some with lead poisoning may be iron deficient as well. Appropriate treatment for this is iron supplements.
Lead poison treatment for those with low levels is merely by avoiding future exposure. Lead is brought to you in many forms through the environment. Worth a note, lead can still be found in contaminated:
- household dust
- lead based paint
- lead glazed pottery
- some metal jewelry
- drinking water delivered through lead pipes
- some toys, cosmetics, traditional remedies
The CDC offers simple tips for preventing exposure. In their view, lead poisoning is entirely preventable. So, take a gander at their simple measures to protect your health from the poison of lead.