Electricity does kill. In fact, somewhere in the vicinity of a 1,000 people die annually of electric shock. And that’s just in the U.S.
Your body conducts electricity, so any physical contact with an electric current has the potential of causing you some sort of electric shock injury, or even death via electrocution.
Primary factors influencing the extent of an electric shock:
- intensity of voltage
- your state of health
- route current takes through your body
Injuries caused by an electric current are primarily:
Common sources of electric shock muscle, nerve, tissue and skin injuries, or electrocution, are:
- electric cords
- electrical wiring
- electrical outlets
- electric appliances
- high-voltage power lines
After a shock of electricity, some symptoms you may experience involve:
- skin burns
- cardiac arrest
- muscular pain
- bone fractures
- respiratory failure
- heart arrhythmias
- muscle contraction
- numbness, tingling
- hearing impairment
One very important electric shock safety measure to always remember is that tap water and electricity are a lethal combination. Small appliance handling while soaking in the tub or showering is a recipe for electrocution.
In addition, some electrical safety precautions if you have small children are:
- child safety plugs in all outlets
- keep electrical cords out of a child’s reach
- never let your child chew on electrical cords
If you are at a major electric shock or potential electrocution scene, remember never to directly handle a victim whose body remains in contact with a “live” electrical source. Lest you want to become an electric shock victim yourself.
First step is to determine a means for turning off the electric power. If this is not doable, moving the victim off the source may be accomplished by making use of non-conducting items. Never metal, more like something made of rubber.
And don’t even think about a rescue attempt when high-voltage lines are involved, leave that task solely in the hands of an emergency crew.