Cellulitis is a bacterial infection in the deepest layer of your skin. This bacteria typically enters through a break in the skin, like a cut, scratch, or bite.
Normally when your skin gets infected, only the top layer is affected. And with proper care it goes away on its own.
You may have cellulitis if:
- affected skin area is warm
- skin appears tight & glossy
- experience pain or tenderness
- skin redness or swelling area that grows
- skin rash happens suddenly and grows quickly
- other signs of infection ~ fever, chills, muscle aches
Cellulitis is only contagious through spreading open sore to open sore, a highly unlikely occurrence.
Cellulitis can be serious, so prompt treatment is important. If it is left untreated, the bacterial infection may rapidly turn into a life-threatening condition.
Treatment goals of cellulitis are to control the infection and prevent related problems, usually includes antibiotics. And be extremely discerning about your tattoo designer!