A skin ulcer is a type of lesion that is marked by a crater-like patch. The hallow cause is the loss of your upper layers of skin.
A major cause for skin to shed some layers is the lack of health promoting circulation. Skin ulcers can be caused by:
- skin cancer
- lichen planus
- dysplastic nevi
- virus infections ~ herpes
- brown recluse spider venom
- sustained pressure ~ bedsores
- bacterial infections ~ MRSA, staph, syphilis
Certain diseases involving blood flow restriction issues can also cause skin ulcerations, such as:
Canker sores are mucous membrane ulcers.
Diabetic neuropathy’s loss of sensation is very dangerous because a lower extremity wound can become ulcerous without notice. Because ulcerated skin can be difficult to heal, it’s a prime target for infection causing gangrene, leading to amputation.
Legs and feet are common locations for an ulcerated skin condition. Infected skin ulcers may cause an odor and will likely be pussy. The surrounding area is often tender and red.
Venous skin ulcers are caused by blood leakage into your leg tissue that leads to its breakdown. The reason for this is leg vein valve damage, which is also the cause for varicose veins.
Skin ulcer treatment depends on its cause, for instance:
- bacteria caused ulcer ~ antibiotic
- diabetic~ protective bandage, whirlpool baths
- venous skin ulcer ~ leg elevation, compression stockings
- bedsores ~ protective pads, routine rotation, egg crate mattress covers
Healthy home care ulceration treatment necessitates that you clean the ulcer gently with mild soap and water. Never scrub. And pat dry.