Your mouth plays a significant role in moment-to-moment living. And even a minor oral problem can cause significant eating, drinking or communicating health consequences.
Imagine, your mouth is constantly taking in potentially mouth harming substances by way of the air you breath, the food that’s munched down on, those teeth picking fingers or bacterial and virus infection causing material allowed to pass through your lips.
However, not all oral infections, pain or sores originate externally. Some diseases and disorders can be the genesis for trouble.
Mouth problems are a universal experience. But discovering its cause can be tricky. Causing the bite of your mouth’s botheration may involve:
- dry mouth
- cold sores
- oral cancer
- canker sores
- metallic taste
- bleeding gums
- coxsackie sores
- oral lichen planus
- geographic tongue
- periodontal disease
- swallowing difficulty
- burning mouth syndrome
Because of a weakened immune system, or sometimes otherwise, oral problems often arise with these health conditions:
- toxic shock ~ red mouth
- allergies ~ roof of mouth itching
- kidney disease ~ bad taste, halitosis
- GERD ~ bad taste, burning sensation
- Sjögren’s syndrome ~ mouth dryness
- epidermolysis bullosa ~ mouth blisters
- syphilis ~ gray, white mucous patches
- tuberculosis ~ painful sore, albeit rarely
- anaphylaxis ~ mouth swelling, metallic taste
- anemia ~ pale looking mouth, smooth tongue
- vitamin C deficiency ~ bleeding gums, gingivitis
- osteoporosis ~ loss of alveolar bone increases tooth lose
- low white blood cell count ~ more likely to get infections
- diabetes ~ uncontrolled blood sugar has broad oral backwash
- Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis ~ mouth sores, swollen cheeks & gums
- rheumatoid arthritis ~ jaw joint inflammation causing chewing discomfort
- scleroderma ~ causes hardening of lips & tongue, mouth opening & jaw movement reduction
- lupus ~ autoimmune disease that can cause sore lips, palate, inside cheeks, mouth burning & dryness
- HIV ~ oral lesions & warts, candida infection, hairy leukoplakia, necrotizing ulcerative periodontitis & gingivitis
- bulimia ~ frequent vomiting causes tooth enamel erosion, swollen salivary glands, sore tongue, roof of mouth bruising, malnutrition
- iron or vitamin B deficiency ~ burning mouth & tongue sensation, swallowing difficulty, swollen tongue, cheek tissue sloughing, fungal infections, oral sores, pale color
Your oral issue can also be caused by medications, for example:
Treatment for mouth pain, sores, infections and diseases is hinged on the cause of your oral problem.
Oral health maintenance involves more than just your teeth. Tongue and gums need care to prevent problems or disease as well. Exude a healthy smile by keeping your mouth cleaned, teeth brushed and gums flossed.