Angioedema is a type of deep skin swelling that can cause large welts, especially around your eyes and lips. Angioedema is similar to hives, except the skin inflammation is deeper.
Angioedema caused welts may also raise up on your hands, feet, genitalia and throat. This deep skin swelling may be painful and can cause pruritus. Angioedema skin inflammation develops suddenly and may be accompanied by other symptoms, like:
- breathing difficulty
- abdominal cramping
- swollen eyes, lips & mouth
- blisters at severe skin swelling sites
Hives may or may not occur with your angioedema. Triggers and allergic reactions that may produce angioedema swelling welts include:
- food additives ~ salicylates, sulfites
- allergens ~ pollen, animal dander, latex, insect sting/bite
- foods ~ shellfish, fish, berries, nuts, eggs, wheat, soy, chocolate, milk
- drugs ~ antibiotics, aspirin, ibuprofen, statins, ACE inhibitors, vaccines, SSRIs, sulfa drugs
- environmental factors ~ heat, cold, sunlight, water, skin pressure, emotional stress, exercise
Deep skin swelling angioedema sometimes occurs in response to the production of antibodies. Skin swelling may happen because of:
- blood transfusion
- connective tissue disease
- cancer, leukemia, lymphoma
- thyroid issues ~ Hashimoto thyroiditis, Graves disease
- immune system disorders ~ lupus, Sjogren’s, rheumatoid arthritis
- chronic infections ~ viral hepatitis, herpes, Epstein-Barr, UTI,respiratory tract
The cause of your angioedema welts may never be determined. Serious complications of angioedema is that it can progress to breathing difficulty and anaphylaxis. Thus, spawning a health emergency.
If you experience mild angioedema skin inflammation, then treatment probably won’t be necessary. A cool compress can offer some pain and itch relief treatment. Moderate to severe symptoms may need drug treatment, such as:
A couple of things you may want to avoid if you have angioedema caused skin inflammation is heat exposure, exertion, stress, alcohol and aspirin. This stuff can aggravate your welt caused allergic response.