Ethanol is the intoxicating ingredient in alcohol. Ethanol’s primary effect is suppression of your central nervous system.
Your central nervous system consists of your brain and spinal cord. Basically, they are your control and communication centers, maintaining homeostasis by detecting, interpreting and responding to any condition changes.
Nervous system suppression by way of moderate alcohol consumption has a pleasing effect because it reduces anxiety and inhibition. However, it can be poisonous when guzzled in large amounts over a short period, aka binge drinking.
Binge drinking is the prevailing cause of alcohol poisoning. Too much alcohol too quickly has an arresting affect on your breathing, heart rate and gag reflex.
Unhealthy signs and symptoms of alcohol poison are:
- can’t be roused
- cyanosis, paleness
- slow, irregular breathing
Any combination of these signs and symptoms puts you in grave risk of dying from the poison of alcohol. Have no doubt, it is a medical emergency!
If you suspect alcohol poisoning in another, don’t hesitate to treat it as an emergency. And it’s not funny.
Never leave an individual who has any signs of alcohol poisoning alone. Until help arrives, attempt to keep them sitting up and awake. Lying down can result in choking on their own vomit. If being prone is an unchangeable state, then keep their head turned to the side.
A fatal mistake is leaving them alone to “sleep off” alcohol poisoning. Just because drinking has stopped doesn’t equate to a reduction in alcohol’s poison effects.
On the contrary, your stomach and liver continue to metabolize alcohol, depressing your system, long after you’ve stopped. Consequently, a lethal dose of alcohol can stop your breathing, heart and gag reflex functions.
Death by asphyxiation or cardiac arrest are tragic outcomes because of a quick intoxication. Or your survival payoff could be irreversible brain damage.
Treatment for alcohol poisoning usually involves supportive care until the ingested alcohol is completely eliminated, including:
And walking it off, sleeping it off, coffee and a cold shower don’t work as means of sobering health preservation. Instead, what alcohol poisoned folks need is immediate medical attention.