Adenovirus is a highly contagious infectious disease, with its milder infection not usually lasting longer than a week. Typically a cold climate virus, causing at least one adenovirus infection in most before their 10th birthday.
Adenoviral infection symptoms vary depending on the part of your body that’s been invaded.
- sore throat
- runny nose
- rhonchi & rales
- nasal congestion
- swollen lymph nodes
- dry, harsh cough ~ sounds like pertussis cough
If adenovirus causes an infection in your gastrointestinal tract, then inflammation and symptoms might involve:
Adenovirus infecting your bladder or urinary tract can cause symptoms of:
An adenovirus infection can lead to:
- common cold
- viral pneumonia
- pericarditis (children)
- meningitis, encephalitis (rarely)
There is no cure nor specific treatment for adenovirus. Symptom relief is the best you can do.
Other suggested adenoviral treatments for symptom relief and health preservation are:
- plenty of rest
- humidifier ~ helps loosen congestion
- electrolyte solution prevents dehydration complications
- use bulb syringe to clear young child’s nasal discharge
- warm eye compresses relieves conjunctivitis symptoms
Because this infection is caused by a virus, taking an antibiotic provides no treatment benefit. Although adenoviral infections resembles some bacterial infections, never treat with any prescription drug that wasn’t ordered by a health care professional.